spinner
History of Prospect Place, Bath

History of Prospect Place

Built by Abraham Chubb C.1810

Seventeen The Town House is a Historic England Grade II listed building. A Grade II listed building is one which is protected for their historical and architectural significance.

We were fortunate to purchase this pretty Georgian house along with a bag of original deeds, some with red wax seals! So with Bath Records Office and local historians we have a good starting place to establish more of ownership history since 1810!

We know so far that the house was built by Abraham Chubb in C.1810 as part of a long terrace of pretty cottages on the northern slopes of Bath facing south towards the World Heritage City. The terraced cottages were built for gardeners working in Baths municipal gardens. Prospect Place is situated on what is now known as Upper Camden Road and enjoys widespread views over the City and to the Somerset hills beyond. Three doors along No. 20 was originally a farmhouse. The Prospect Place cottages seem to have been built on what had been known as Walcot Botanical Gardens set up in 1793 by the attorney, builder and amateur botanist John Jelly. He had lived in a house known as Elm Bank, somewhere to the north of what is now Coburg Villas. His bankruptcy in 1795 led to the sale of the house and land, which was subsequently sold for building.

Until the latter part of the 18th century the area of Camden remained largely open countryside with various orchards and market gardens now supplying the growing city. Development spread up the northern slopes and resulted in the building of the Grade 1 listed Camden Crescent by the architect John Eveleigh in 1787/8 at what is now the western end of Camden Road. It was planned as a crescent of 22 houses with terraces of 5 houses at either end. Because of landslips on Beacon Hill to the north of the crescent it proved impossible to complete the project. Only 18 houses and the south west wing survive. What was intended as the centre is pedimented and bears the arms of Charles Pratt, first Earl of Camden, and the keystones of the houses bear his crest, an elephant’s head. He was a lawyer who became Recorder of Bath in 1759.

Abrahm Chubb (1732 -1822) lived at 11 Prospect Place and at some point Margaret's Buildings between the Circus and The Royal Crescent. He died 20th September 1822, 90 years old. According to Bath records office he was buried in Weston cemetery. British History online states his death in 1827.

At the moment we are researching the history of the house and Prospect Place at Bath Records office and via the local community to build a fuller picture of the house. We are fortunate to have most of the original deeds to help us bring the house history alive. We’re looking forward to historical discoveries!

Availability & Booking

+44 (0) 7724 560208

© 2021  17 The Town House, 17 Prospect Place, Camden Rd., Bath, BA1 5JD, UK - luxury self-catering holiday accommodation for 7

Web Design

To Top